Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible three days prior to surgery.
- A responsible adult [at least 18 years of age] must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. If the patient is a minor, the legal guardian must be present.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery. This includes rings and wedding bands.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach upset or GI discomfort, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Goddard prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Personal devices, i.e. I-Pads, cell phones or watches are not allowed in the surgery suite unless authorized for a medical reason such as to monitor blood glucose.